New Zealand Online Sports betting
New Zealanders love all types of real money online gambling. Sports betting is no exception, with thousands of bets placed daily on NZ sports and racing as well as international sporting events. This is one of the top of the line industries to get into today. Some people don't realize that there are ways to gamble without joining an online casino. Kiwi sports betting sites are a great way to get started.
One thing we understand very well here in NZ is that a sporting event is way more exciting if you have real cash on the line, which is why online sports betting is one of the only forms of web gambling that is allowed and regulated by the top level of New Zealand government. There are a lot of different ways to place real cash bets, but most punters prefer to bet online at the best online betting sites.
While gambling online, sports betting is a quick and easy way to make top dollar. We have gone through an extensive list of the best real money sports betting sites in NZ, and rated them based on fairness, pay-out, customer service and more. Our list of the top sports betting sites includes only the best online betting sites where you can earn real money. While there are a lot of great options for you to place bets at, we found that the best sportsbetting site is Betway Sports. Read on to see how you can start placing bets today! Start enjoying sports betting online today, and discover the following perks:
- It’s convenient to do from anywhere
- You can bet on more games from around the world
- Bets available during games
- Easy mobile & tablet betting
Sports Betting Regulation in New Zealand
Sports betting is completely legal and doing it online opens up more opportunities and additional sports to bet on.
In 1920, New Zealand made bookmaking illegal, and residents could only bet on the top horse races while at the game, on the course itself. In 1961 the Totalizator Agency Board was established, making it possible to place bets on sporting events outside of the event itself. The Totalizator Agency Board is run by the New Zealand Racing Board, the main statutory body for NZ online sports betting.
The New Zealand Racing Board includes all of the best sporting events, horse racing and greyhound racing. It even regulates bets placed on international sports games. The board was established in 2003 under the Racing Act in order to promote NZ racing and maximise the industry's profits, as well as broadcast all of the best events on TAB TV, Trackside and Radio Trackside.
It is the Board's responsibility to schedule racing calendars to the best interest of the industry, promote ownership of race animals to a larger Kiwi audience, improve technology in the industry and keep racing facilities up to date. In New Zealand when you are gambling online, sportsbetting sites will either be international or they will be owned by the TAB.
The Totalizator Agency Board offers a lot of different products for would-be betters. On average, 80% of dollars bet with the Board are returned to the customer. The rest goes to the Board to improve the industry.
There are many different channels you can use to bet through the TAB:
- On-site bets at the racetrack
- TAB street front betting shops
- The official TAB website www.tab.co.nz
- Touch tone phone bet service
In New Zealand, racing and sports betting is a huge industry with some of the best opportunities out there. The sportsbetting industry generates almost $1.5 Billion in revenue each year and provides over 18,000 full time jobs. It not only provides real money to the betters, but to everyone involved in the industry.
Different Types of Bets and Odds
Betting online makes it possible to create larger prize pools and much greater winning opportunities overall.
Odds are listed in a few different formats depending where the bookmaker is located. It is good to know all of the different formats when using online gambling sites. If you are looking for an alternative to your favourite online casino, Kiwi sports betting sites can be a really fun way to get involved with different types of odds than you find in casino games. Sportsbetting sites are both local and international so you may see one format one day and another the next. The formats you may see at all of the best online betting sites are:
- European: Decimals representing the ratio of the pay-out to the stake
- UK: Fractions representing the amount won to the stake
- American: Moneyline odds represent the amount won on a 100 stake when positive and the stake that is needed to win 100 when negative
The odds are generally a lot easier to read in online sports betting than they are in other types of online gambling. Sportsbetting is an easy introduction into the world of real cash gambling, because you can take your knowledge of sports and apply it to your bets without having to learn any new games or skills.
There are many types of bets out there that are available both in person and on sports betting sites. They include:
- Proposition (Prop) Bets:These bets are made on the specific result of a game in NZ or internationally. You can predict the number of points scored by a baseball team, whether a particular player will score in a football match, or betting whether a basketball player on one team will score more points than a player on another team.
- Straight Bets: These bets are made against the spread (or line), which is a number that bookmakers list that handicaps one team and favours the other. The favoured team is the one that the bookmaker feels is more likely to win. The number is then subtracted or added to the total points at the end of the game. For example if a football match was listed as Team A +2 and Team B -2, the favoured team would have to win by at least 2 points to pay out.
- Totalizators: These are also called flexible-rate bets, where the odds change in real time based on the bets being made, plus the return percentage of the bookmaker.
- Teasers: Teasers let you combine your bets on multiple games. You can adjust the spread of points for each game, but you have to get all of the games right to get paid.
- If Bets: If bets are two or more straight bets linked by an "if clause." Each bet must comply with its "if clause,"
- Head-to-Head: This type of bet let you bet on specific players or racers against each other, instead of the general outcome. This is most common with races, for example you can bet that Horse A will outrun Horse B. You can win the bet even if neither horse wins.
- In-Play Betting: This is available on some of the top sports betting sites, letting you place new bets in real-time while the game is happening.
- 2nd Half or Half-time Bets: This is self-explanatory, a bet that is placed during half-time. You can bet on the spread or over/under it, but you can only bet on the points scored in the second half of the game.
- Future Wagers: These are more long-term bets, placed weeks or months out. These are often placed on championship games in the beginning of the season. Bookmakers like these bets because they get to hold your money for a long period of time, and the odds are often way lower as it is always harder to predict games so far in advance.
- Run Line, Puck Line, and Goal Line Bets: These are bets for baseball, hockey or football that have a fixed point spread and a higher pay-out for the favoured team.
- Parlays: These can involve up to 12 separate bets in NZ and have very high pay-outs. You have to win all bets in order to pay out.
- Progressive Parlays: These have slightly larger pay-outs than normal Parlays. The benefit is that you can get a reduced pay-out even if you lose some of your bets.
Most of these bets are available when online gambling in NZ. Sportsbetting is a great industry to get into, with high pay-outs and a lot of the same thrill you can get in a real cash casino. If you are going to try gambling online, sportsbetting is a great place to start. Sports fans already know all the stats on their favourite teams, so why not cash out on that knowledge and earn some real money in the process?
If you are looking for the best local and international sites to place sports bets in New Zealand, you have come to the right place. We found the very best online betting sites so that you don't have to go searching for them. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned veteran of online gambling in NZ, sportsbetting is definitely the way to go. Take a break from playing at an online casino, Kiwi sports betting sites are waiting and our list of the top real cash sports betting sites is sure to put you on a winning streak!
- Modern website
- 24/7 Customer Support
- Full collection of Microgaming games
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
You can bet on most sports when playing online, rugby, cricket, soccer, US sports and many others are all available to players looking to place a quick bet before the game begins.
The most popular sports to bet on in New Zealand are rugby, cricket, soccer and netball, and each of these is available at most online sports betting locations.
To find a top welcome bonus you have to do a bit of looking around. We rate casinos based on welcome bonuses and recommend some with exceptional bonuses, but often the best bonuses come from newly established sites, so keep your eyes open.
Real money sports betting online can be profitable with a bit of luck and a good selection before the game starts. It’s even more profitable when betting on the side with lower odds because the potential payout is much greater.
In each matchup the site determines the odds of each side winning the match. The side with the greatest odds offers a modest payout and the side with poor odds offers a large payout to betters that give it a try.
Odds change with nearly every match or game that’s played and it’s important to check them before placing a bet.
You can try to use a system with online ports betting, but it can be difficult to do and doesn’t guarantee success either.